Friday, 25 March 2022
  24 Replies
  2.3K Visits
Votes
Undo
I'm opening this thread to start the debate, with concrete solutions on how to solve the problem with the lapped cars.

Let's start with:

1. Use of the CrewChief plug-in as an aid to know when a faster car is behind you.
2. Establishing norms on how to let a car by
3. What not to do

To get the ball rolling, can someone, perhaps Otto Acosta who's quite experienced with this, give us a tutorial on how to properly install CrewChief and have it only inform drivers of flags and cars around?

Janos Magasrevy
SRH Founder and Director

Janos Magasrevy featured this post — 4 months ago
Janos Magasrevy featured this post — 4 months ago
4 months ago
·
Votes
Undo
Our NOS is supplied by Venezuelan Arepas

Janos Magasrevy
SRH Founder and Director

4 months ago
·
Votes
Undo
Our NOS is supplied by Venezuelan Arepas

hahaha
4 months ago
·
Votes
Undo
Gotta' get me some of that!
3 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to configure when the blue flag is shown. The only parameter I've seen that can be configured is how close behind does a driver need to be before the lapped car gets penalized. This value is currently set to 0.5s.

Now that this information is known, simply being shown the blue flag doesn't mean you will be penalized immediately, what it means is that you should prepare to let the driver by soon. To be honest, 0.5s is quite lenient as that's almost being stuck behind the gearbox of the car ahead.

Also, I think the penalty is not a DQ, you'll get drive-thru pits first, but maybe the game itself will impose harsher ones if you keep doing it.

BlueFlags#":"0=none, 1=show but never penalize, 2=show and penalize if following within 0.3 seconds, 3=0.5s, 4=0.7s, 5=0.9s, 6=1.1s, 7=use RFM value \"BlueFlags=<0-6>\" (default is 3)",

The .json does say to penalize if following within X seconds, but I've found that not to be the case. First of all, you can get shown the blue flag when a lapping car is within a certain distance and then pull away and the blue flag goes away. If you're unable to do that then it seems to be based on how long you're shown the blue flag. Of course, I haven't timed it, but it seems to be 5 - 10 seconds and then you'll get a message in your Message Center that tells you to move over or you'll be penalized. And yes, the penalty is a drive-thru. I've never received the penalty more than once in a race, but I wouldn't be surprised if the penalty stays the same for each infraction.

-------------------------------

I think I've been lapped every race so far, so I guess I have some experience. :)

I also have some experience in multi class endurance racing where you're constantly overtaking or being overtaken by cars from other classes. Granted that's a different discipline run with different rules and typically you're told to hold your line and let the faster cars find a way around.

My goals when being lapped, is not to cause an incident, to not get a penalty, to minimize the time I lose and finally to minimize the time the person lapping me loses.

And that's key, everyone is typically going to lose a bit of time whether you're lapping someone or being lapped and the goal should be to minimize that.

Richard H. posted above:
"If you're worried about losing time to the blue flag, just remember, the guy you're racing for position will have to let the leader by too."

But the same could be said about the person lapping:
"If you're worried about losing time to the blue flag, just remember, the guy you're racing for position will have to get by the lapped cars too."

On Discord, Richard W. commented that losing some time while lapping cars is a part of the racing (something to that affect, not a direct quote).

The only regulation we have governing this is:
"15.7 - As soon as a car is caught by another car that is about to lap it during the race the driver must allow the faster driver past at the first available opportunity. If the driver who has been caught does not allow the faster driver past, waved blue flags will be shown to indicate that he must allow the following driver to overtake."

The onus is completely on the lapped car, who is slower, has a regulation requiring them to move over and runs the risk of being penalized if they don't do it soon enough. Conversely the lapping car has one or more DRS zones which gives them an additional speed advantage.

I know someone said that it's easy and you should just brake a little later and go a little wide into the corner and tuck in behind. The thing is if the drivers being lapped could always be that precise, maybe they wouldn't be getting lapped.

In an attempt to improve my awareness of how close lapping cars are, I've been looking into the mirrors and trying improve the view. One thing I've learned is that the mirrors in this mod are not as high resolution as other mods. There is a file called mirror.bmp in the mods that apparently is related to this and that file in the SRH mod is 1024 x 64 pixels and other mods like the Formula ISI is 2048 x 128. This is definitely better but not as good as the "look behind" view which is as good as the view ahead. So I've configured one of the buttons on my steering wheel to look behind and I've been comparing that view with the view in the center virtual mirror to better gauge the distance of cars behind.

I believe F1 is one of the only series where the blue flag is instructional rather than informational, and I think our series here reflects that, Which is fine. I just wish some would be a little more tolerant.
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!